More than 50,000 Quebec students on strike
Interview with Laurie Bissonnette and Jackie Ohayon of the Campaign on Student Work (CUTE), on the recent strike to demand an end to unpaid student internships
-> Listen, download and share here: https://soundcloud.com/nobordersmedia/quebecinternstrike
This is a No Borders Media audio dispatch. Last week in Quebec, upwards of 58,000 students were on strike, the largest strike action in years.
This strike is different since it's student interns, mainly from technical and professional programs, that are the engine of the strike. These interns are demanding an end to unpaid work, and proper compensation for their internships. The jobs done by these interns -- in teaching, social work, nursing, midwifery, and other professions -- represent jobs gendered as work done by women. This week's strike is a feminist effort, inspired by the Wages for Housework campaigns of the 1970s as much as recent efforts to resist neo-liberal capitalism.
For perspective on the strike, particularly for English-speaking listeners, No Borders Media spoke with two student organizers, interns and strikers involved with autonomous committees of the Campaign on student work, known as the Campagne sur le travail étudiant (CUTE). On the eve of the strike, we speak with Laurie Bissonnette and Jackie Ohayon, social work students and interns who will be on strike this week.
This interview was recorded on November 18, 2018.
-> Listen here: https://soundcloud.com/nobordersmedia/quebecinternstrike
- We The Students Do Not Consent! Interview with Toronto high school students Amina, Ben & Thea
- News Roundup Podcast Ep. 04 (10/03/18): Racism in Quebec & the Election of CAQ
Listen here: https://soundcloud.com/nobordersmedia/electioncaq
- La CAQ et le racisme au Québec: Une discussion post-élection et avant la Manif contre le racisme
Listen here: https://soundcloud.com/nobordersmedia/caqracisme
- Une discussion sur la politique et le racisme au Québec (avec Dalila, Alexandra, Maxim & Jaggi)
NO BORDERS MEDIA
No Borders Media is an autonomous left-wing media network. We share and create content that supports the struggles of communities in resistance, with a focus on the self-determination struggles of Indigenous peoples, migrants, refugees and working class people of colour in the context of opposition to capitalism and colonialism. Some current focuses include: migrant justice, resistance to borders, anti-fascism and anarchism.
We are in the early stages our independent media project. To stay in touch send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or look for No Borders Media on facebook, twitter and soundcloud. Much more to come in the coming weeks and months.
No Borders Media
You can download No Borders Media podcasts here:
- google play: https://play.google.com/music/m/Iryaoz7brmxisj3tcojm7p7bgce?t=No_Borders_Media
- itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/no-borders-media/id1439525381
- stitcher: www.stitcher.com/podcast/no-borders-media
- pocketcasts: https://pca.st/J3K9